ELECTRIC MOTOR EFFICIENCY & IE3 COMPLIANCE
With electric motors often accounting for a significant proportion of an organisation’s overall energy consumption, there is a compelling business case for cost avoidance through improved energy efficiency. Recent energy cost uncertainty, a step change in electric motor efficiency and a regulatory drive to reduce carbon emissions have combined to further drive the migration to new IE3 complaint motors.
The most important facts about IE3
- Standard IEC 60034-30 defines the energy efficiency classes for asynchronous motors.
- Since January 1, 2015 only motors in the power range from 7.5 to 375 kW complying with Energy Efficiency Class IE3 are legally permitted in the EU.
- From 1 January 2017 on, energy efficiency class IE3 will apply to motors from 0,75 kW to 375 kW.
For electric single speed, three-phase 50 or 50/60 Hz squirrel cage induction motor:
- Rated voltage up to 1,000 V.
- Rated power: 0.75 – 375 kW.
- Number of poles: 2, 4, or 6.
- Rated on the basis of continuous duty operation.
Other International Standards and Compliance Benchmarks
Statutes and standards are designed to help organisations meet new energy policy targets. Whether at the international, European or UK level – standards seek to define a single uniform standard.
Other key international standards include:
1 – International standard ISO 50001
Large organisations are obligated to conduct an energy audit according to DIN 16247 by the end of 2015, or implement an energy management system according to ISO 50001.
2 – Norm ISO 50001
3 – European eco-compatible design standard EN 50598
The standard EN 50598 outlines eco-compatible design requirements (energy efficiency, eco-balance calculations) for drive systems in electrical driven production machines. The motor regulation (640/2009) is applicable throughout Europe. It defines eco-compatible design requirements for electric motors and legally specifies the use of variable speed drives.
Save money by migrating to IE3 ...
Ensuring your motors are running at their most energy-efficient can make all the difference to your profitability. Our expert team can help you identify how much your business could save.
GET IN TOUCH
Call us today on 01604 269570 or complete the form to request a quote or to arrange a call back.